Our noble master Muhammad sallalaho alayhi wasallam was born in Makkah in the year 570 C.E in what was referred to as the ‘Year of The Elephant’ in the month of Rabi ul awal which is the third month in the Islamic Calendar. This year was given its title of ‘Year Of The Elephant’ as it corresponded with the failed attempt of an African King named Abraha who attempted to destroy the Kaaba with an army of Elephants, we all know what his fate was as Allah has mentioned it in surah Al Fil:
- Have you not seen how your Lord dealt with the men of the Elephant?
- Did He not cause their device to be ruined.
- And He sent against them flocks of birds.
- Striking them against stones of baked clay.
- And thus made them like broken straw eaten up.
Rasoolullah’s father sayyidinah Abdullah radiyallo anho had passed away approximately 6 months before he was born and his mother Aminah radiyallo anha also passed away whilst Rasoolullah was at the tender age of 6. The baby was named ‘Muhammad’ by his (paternal) grandfather Abdul Muttalib and was named ‘Ahmad’ by his mother. ‘Muhammad’ means ‘He who is praised the most by Allah’ and ‘Ahmad’ means ‘one who praises Allah the most.’